This course is a multi-disciplinary study of the dynamics of the Asian business environment. This dynamic and complex region is examined within the framework of economic, political and cultural elements. The emphasis is on examining institutional, social, cultural, political and economic elements which contribute to a particularistic system of organizing firms, markets and labour relations. As such, various governance structures and its link to economic and business activity will be examined. The module is historical, contemporary and comparative.
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Identify key economic, political and social trends in the region
- Identify the core institutional elements of business systems in the region
- Understand the nature of firms, markets and labour issues in a historical and contemporary context.
- Undertake country analyses and identify business opportunities in selected countries
- Evaluate the future role of ASEAN, APEC and other forms of economic cooperation such as the TPPA.